ADSense script

Thursday 9 October 2014

Kintergarten logic

Memories of chocolate milk, riding a schoolbus to kindergarten outside of town at the age of four.  That same kindergarten would later be completely destroyed by an avalanche rushing down from the mountainside above the fjord that would all but kill one of my childhood friends as it consumed their house.
That same house would then decades later be purchased by my late sister who would later fall victim to terminal cancer.  Her mother - my mother - would in turn also suffer the same affliction later.

I remember waiting patiently by the swings in the kindergarten playpen, silently biding my time for my turn and when that turn finally came it was because the other children were being called in for lunch.  I recall consciously deciding to not answer the bell and for an unknown amount of time blissfully swinging back and forth while casually noting the rest of the kids running back inside.

The next memory is of an irritated nanny that was removing my wet undergarments in front of the other kids and them observing wide-eyed as the nanny muttered some meaningless phrases that she was probably intending to teach me to honor the toilet protocol more closely the next time.

If she was intending to shame me into submission by the public display then I doubt that worked, the feeling I remember all these years later was more one of a slight puzzlement at her not understanding the pure logic behind my decision which was simply based on the amount of time I had spent waiting for the swings versus the actual amount of time I spent on them.

Years later my mother told me my grandmother was working as a cook in that same nursery during the time that I was there and I had been given free entry there as a result of that.  I still wonder today whether that irritated nanny was her or just some random other nanny with too many diaper changes weighing down on her shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment